(sample page in Henry's Math Investigations workbook, not even a little bit edited by me! I SWEAR)
1. 48 divided by 8 = ? Show your work.
2. Let's say you have 48 cookies and you must divide them equally among eight people. How many would you give them? Show your work some more.
3. Now what if you had 48 gum balls, smart brains? And 8 ponies? How many gum balls would each pony get? Show your work. But a different way this time.
4. Okay NOW we're going to imagine you have 48 headaches and only 8 skulls! DIFFERENT THINGS! How many headaches does each skull get? SYW. (That's short for Show Your Work. Really mix it up this time, would you? We get bored.)
5. This one's new, promise. 48 candy corns, 8 socks. Put an equal number of candy corns in each sock. See? Candy corn + socks = fun! (You better show your work AGAIN but this time in an equally FUN way.)
6. How were the above questions different? Explain.
7. Explain more. Draw stuff for us about how you're explaining. Really show us your work.
8. Are you yelling at your mom about how you don't want to do your homework? How much?
9. Hey, what are you thinking right now?
10. We're desperately unhappy people. This is probably because there are 48 of us, and only 8 desks. How many people should sit at each desk? Show your work.
11. Seriously, show us. We should mention that Tad is hogging one desk all to himself, and Linda and Jason are making out at another one, and one desk is infested with spiders; two others are in an alternate dimension and if you try to use them you're torn in half; three desks are in this one corner of the office where the lights stopped working and we can hear someone or something in there growling and snapping. Wait, that's all the desks. But where .... where are we?
12. Show our work. Oh, God, show our work!